Welcome back to Tuesday's recipe series, where each week I share a new recipe which you can download for free. When there is a collection on the blog, I will be showing you how to use them to create weekly, fortnightly and monthly meal plans. Today's recipe is a delicious lasagna - and who doesn't love a great lasagna!
My husband is a fantastic cook, and he has definitely nailed the perfect lasagna, which has always been one of my favourite dishes. My friends and family used to tease me because when we went out for dinner, I would always order lasagna. Now that we have this delicious home-cooked version, I can be a bit more experimental when we go out!
This is not a super-quick recipe (like the quiche or nachos), so it's best on a weekend, when you have time to let the sauce simmer and fill the house with delicious smells of cinnamon and nutmeg. Yum! This recipes serves 6 comfortably, but you could always double the recipe and make 2 separate lasagnas then freeze one. I'm all for saving yourself extra time in the kitchen! Enjoy :)
- 1 onion Bechamel sauce:
- 1 carrot 1 cup milk
- 2 sticks of celery 1/4 cup plain flour
- 2 rashers of bacon 50g butter
- 500g beef mince
- 1 tbs olive oil
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 5 - 6 grates of whole nutmeg / 1/4 tsp ground nutmeg
- 720ml jar passata
- 2 tins tomatoes
- Lasagna sheets
- 1 ball mozzarella / 1 bag shredded mozzarella
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 190º C
- Finely chop the vegetables and bacon
- Heat olive oil in a pan and add these ingredients, allow to sweat for 5 minutes
- Add the mince to the pan, breaking it up with a spoon to brown all over
- Add passata and tomato tins to the pan, add in the cinnamon and nutmeg, and salt and pepper to taste. Allow sauce to simmer for 1 hour.
- For the béchamel sauce - in a small saucepan melt butter, then stir in flour to make a roux (smooth paste), Gradually add the milk - whisk or stir firmly to ensure there are no lumps
- To assemble the lasagna - begin by spreading a layer of sauce on the bottom of a large dish, sprinkle with mozzarella, then lay lasagna sheets on top. Repeat this 3 times, finishing with lasagna sheets
- Pour the béchamel sauce evenly over the top and sprinkle with mozzarella
- Bake in the oven for 45 minutes.
- Remove from oven, and serve with a fresh green salad (Serves 4 - 6)