Welcome back to Tuesday's recipe series, where each week I share a new recipe which you can download for free. When there is a collection on the blog, I will be showing you how to use them to create weekly, fortnightly and monthly meal plans. Today's recipe is a spinach and carrot pie with quick crumb crust - delicious!
We created this delicious recipe a few weekends ago - the weather was freezing, we were all sick with horrible chest infections and were craving some healthy, comfort food. Plus we needed to get rid of some surplus veggies from the fridge that were close to going off.
We used spinach and carrot for this pie, but you could really use any vegetable combo, or even add other veggies in e.g. zucchini, peas, pumpkin, red pepper... anything you have in the fridge. This pie is made with a quick breadcrumb base so it is nice and light, but still filling. This one is definitely worth a try!
Spinach and carrot pie with quick crumb crust
- Pie filling: Breadcrumb base:
- 1 onion 2 cups bread crumbs
- 2 carrots 1/3 cup grated parmesan
- 3 bacon rashers, diced Handful parsley, chopped
- 4 handfuls baby spinach Salt & pepper
- 6 eggs
- 1 cup grated cheddar cheese
- Pre-heat oven to 180º C and lightly grease the base of a pie dish
- Blitz onion and carrots in a food processor, and fry in medium-hot pan with the bacon for 3 minutes
- Blitz the spinach and add to the hot pan until wilted
- In a jug, whisk the eggs together, add cheese, and season to taste
- In a separate bow, mix the crust ingredients together, and press into base of pie dish
- Add spoonfuls of carrot mixture over the top of the breadcrumb base, then gently spread, taking care not to dislodge the breadcrumb base
- Carefully pour egg mixture over the top to cover
- Bake in the oven for 20-25 minutes, then allow to cool slightly before serving (Serves 4- 6)