Welcome back to Tuesday's recipe series, where each week I share a new recipe which you can download for free. When there is a collection on the blog, I will be showing you how to use them to create weekly, fortnightly and monthly meal plans. Today's recipe is grilled fish with sweet soy and vegetables.
Do you have a regular night or two in your week that includes fish or seafood? We try to have it at least once a week - not just for the health benefits, but also because our fish meals are nice and light, so I always feel good after them.
Luckily, our kids enjoy eating fish too, particularly if it's grilled or in patties. For this particular recipe, I modify the veg for them by relying on my go-to sides - either a mash (carrot, sweet potato or a combination of the two), and sliced avocado and/or peas/broccoli. I stick with these guaranteed winners at the moment to avoid arguments with my 4 year old. He used to be SUCH a fussy eater, but I have persisted over the years by not making him a separate meal and encouraging him to at least try what's on his plate. He's so much better now than he used to be! I'm not going to lie, some nights have been pretty awful. But he knows that if he doesn't eat what's on the plate, there won't be anything else served up.
Do you have a fussy eater in your household? If you answered yes, then I really feel for you, it is a big parenting challenge! Meanwhile, my 2 year old eats anything and everything, so that has been quite strange for us to get used to (in a good way!). You just never know what you're going to get with kids!
Back to today's super simple recipe... I think one of the best ways to cook fish is using this delicious ingredient combination - salt, pepper, olive oil and lemon. Make sure you don't over-cook the fish so it stays nice and moist. A searing hot pan is key. The Asian-inspired vegetables are a nice, easy side and gives you a bit of a dipping sauce too. Hope you enjoy it.
Grilled lemon fish with sweet soy and vegetables
- White fish fillet (1 fillet per person) - you can use flathead, flake, rockling
- 1-2 lemons
- Olive oil
- Salt and pepper
- 2 bunches broccolini, julienned
- 2 carrots, julienned
- 4 tbs sweet soy sauce
- 2 tbs soy sauce
- 2 garlic clove, crushed
- 1 tsp chilli flakes
- Steam the vegetables over simmering water for 5 minutes
- While the vegetables are steaming, combine the sauce ingredients in a small bowl
- Get your pan nice and hot on the stovetop for cooking the fish
- Squeeze the lemon over the fish, brush with olive oil and season
- Place fish in the hot pan for 2 minutes on each side
- To serve, pile the vegetables on a plate and pour the sauce over the top. Gently place the fish on top of the vegetables. (Serves 4)